Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Apartment hunting = successful

I found an apartment!! Woohoo! I looked at a couple of places yesterday and the one which was at the top of my list pre-arrival was just as great as I hoped. I was going to wait and see at least one more apartment today, but I called the owner up and told her I would take the room -- I didn't want someone else to snatch it!

So technically I do not have an apartment, but a colocation (think "co" + "location," which in French usually refers to an apartment rental). Colocation means a situation in which you're sharing a living space with one or more persons. Colocataire means a male roommate and colocatrice means female roommate. These terms are sort of ambiguous though -- they could mean you're sharing a room with someone, or just living in the same house/apartment (think of the way the English language doesn't really supply a term for someone who lives in the same apartment as you do, but not the same room. I suppose you could say "apartment-mate," but 4 syllables seems like a bit much).


Anyway, my colocation is with a couple named Steph and Charly. They're both 25 and they live in an apartment on the fourth floor of a cute little house just south of the gare (train station) and just north of the centre ville (downtown). It's less than a 5 minute walk from the gare and a 5-10 minute walk from the c.v. -- I walked it yesterday on my way from my auberge (hostel) and on the way to see another apartment. My room is on the side of the house which faces the c.v. (and the citadel in the distance). I will be sharing the rest of the apartment with them: kitchen, living room, bathroom, etc. Not only were they very friendly and accommodating, but I was impressed with how well-outfitted the apartment was compared to many of the other places I was considering (which cost a lot more per month). For instance, their kitchen is fully-equipped with an oven, dishwasher, microwave, refrigerator, freezer and plenty of counter space. These amenities may seem basic to those of us accustomed to American apartments (particularly in the suburbs), but most of the studios I saw within my price range contained only a hotplate or two and a refrigerator and sink. They also have a washing machine in their apartment, which is great.


I move in tonight!! So long, hostel! I'm very excited. I'm also eager to really explore Besançon. Now that I have an address, I'll be able to go set up a bank account this week -- and then get a phone plan. I had a bit of difficulty with the phone situation yesterday morning (the no-contract plan I wanted to get requires a French bank card, which requires a permanent address, but in order to find an apartment I needed a phone -- gah!), but I got a re-chargable phone in the interim, and I can use the same phone for the plan I want once I get a bank account.


One more reason to be excited: yesterday when I had a little down-time before an apartment showing I stopped in a cafe and grabbed a coffee. As I sat there I flipped through a local newspaper and found a list of a bunch of cool cultural activities going on this week: concerts, guided tours, film screenings, etc. All of them cost less than 5 euro and many of them were free! I plan to do lots of exploring and touristy things before my teaching contract starts. Speaking of which, I'm off to shower and then go take pictures of the city. Hopefully I'll have a whole post of pictures for you later.


Bonne journée! (have a good day!)

No comments:

Post a Comment