Thursday, September 29, 2011

Aujourd'hui etait formidable

I figured if I'm not going to be keeping a separate French blog anymore, I might as well integrate more French into my English blog... This entry's title means "Today was great!"

Here are three reasons why:
  1. I got to see the two schools where I will be teaching.
  2. I had a really decadent (well, by my recent standards) lunch.
  3. I found a barn / equestrian center where I will be able to ride!
So here are the details:

This morning I met with Fabienne, my liaison and she drove me to Planoise to introduce me to the principals at the two schools where I will be an assistant. We also met up with Nicola and Kirstie, two other assistants who will also be teaching in elementary schools in Planoise. They're both from England and as of this morning were both without housing.

When I arrived about a week and a half ago, it seemed a little silly to have gotten here so early. But now I am incredibly glad that I did. I ended up finding housing very quickly, but everyone else I have talked to has had a lot more trouble; either the housing they had arranged didn't turn out to be what they planned, or they didn't make any arrangements at all and now can't find anything. I feel both very lucky, and very glad that I got here early.

Anyway, the three of us plus Fabienne went on a little mini tour of Planoise, which is a fairly large neighborhood. It is full of high-rise apartment buildings, "slum" is way too harsh to describe the area, but "low-income housing" definitely fits. The streets are very confusing and I was having a hard time maintaining a sense of direction with the tall buildings. But Fabienne showed us exactly which bus stops we could use and how to get to each of our schools. Mine (Ecole Bourgogne and Ecole Champagne) are a 5-minute walk from each other. I'm going to take the bus there tomorrow morning to get an idea of how long it will take when I start on Monday. The principals at my two schools were very different: one was very friendly and organized, the other seemed a little disinterested. But the disinterested one works at a school where I was introduced to a very warm and friendly teacher who happens to speak very good English, so she can be my go-to person if I have a problem.

After Fabienne dropped us off in the c-v, I made a quick stop home to get some papers (this was in preparation for going to the phone store so I could start the monthly plan in October, but it turns out they need another form from the bank which will take a week -- I'm discovering it's always a week with the bank). It was on the walk home that I succumbed to temptation, in pastry form.

So far I have been very economical and very healthy -- I think the only meal I've had "out" was a salad I ate in a cafe my second full day here (plus the Indian food Steph and Charly treated me to last week). I haven't *gasp* had a single French pastry yet. So, I ducked into a patisserie on my way home and picked up a tartlette saumon et epinard (small quiche with salmon and spinach) and a chocolate eclair. Here's the photo:


Pretty yummy looking, huh? The best part of the day was yet to come though. After lunch I did a little research and figured out which bus line to take to get to the nearest centre equestre I found on the city website. It turns out that the barn itself is a bit of a walk from the bus stop (15-20 minutes), but I got there just fine. It's called Les Ecuries de Chateau Galland and they have quite an extensive facility. When I first walked up the main barn area and office was totally empty. The horses all looked healthy and well-kept, and I wandered a little bit trying to find someone who could give me more information. I made it all the way out to the area, where there were 5-6 people riding. There was a woman in the far paddock bringing in 3 horses, and when she approached I ascertained that she was the director.

After she explained all about the operation to me in her office, she showed me around and introduced me to some of the cavaliers (riders) and the horses. She was very friendly and down-to-earth and seemed willing to accomodate my particular situation (arriving a little after the "season" had started and leaving early). She said that the she has had other foreign riders before, and that in her experience the most difficult part for the Americans especially, is the difference in the style of riding, not in the lack of vocabulary. This could be problematic because I found myself a bit overwhelmed at how few horse-related words I knew in French. These words would come as easily as breathing in English, but I was totally nonplussed when Marie, the director, presented me with an item of tack or started elaborating on the lessons. She showed me a "Learn About Horses" book for young children which I might borrow -- it has all of the basic vocabulary that I'm seriously lacking.

So it looks like I'm going to be able to take lessons once per week for the rest of the time I'm here (except vacations)!! I'm going to ask my family to ship over my riding things so I can get started right away. The barn is sort of far away (25 minute bus ride + 15-20 minute walk), but Marie assured me that some of the others who ride during the Friday 3pm lesson slot live near the c-v and could give me a ride. She actually asked one of the cavaliers who was on their way out to give me a ride today, so I wouldn't have to walk/wait for the bus. Natalie, the woman who dropped me off near the gare, told me that she started riding at Chateau Galland when her daughter was taking lessons there. She said that Marie runs the barn very well and that she has always been pleased with it. I think riding there will be a great opportunity! Not just to ride, which of course would be enough, but Marie mentioned how the same riders come at the same time each week, and so they get to know each other well. I hadn't thought of this as a way to make French friends, but it might just work out that way!

Oh, and one more positive: I had yet another pleasant evening with Steph and Charly. It wasn't anything earth-shattering; we watched the news and a couple of other TV shows together, but we had fun laughing at the spoofs and they explained the linguistic jokes and puns which were a bit beyond my reach. My interaction with them has been very positive so far, and I hope it continues that way!

I hope your day was just as good! A bientôt! (until sometime soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment