Thursday, October 13, 2011

First Day of Teaching!!

So today was my first day "intervening" in the classes (that's a literal translation of the French word for what I'm doing), and it was a success! I taught four different classes, two at Ecole Champagne in the morning and then two in the afternoon at Ecole Bourgogne. Normally I would have three at Ecole Bourgogne but one class was on a field trip to the library. I'm glad I got a bit of a break -- four classes was enough for one day.

The first one was definitely the hardest. It's a class of CP/CE2 (I've mentioned it earlier, it's a mix of 1st graders and 3rd graders) and their level of English was pretty much nonexistent. I knew that it was going to be harder to teach the littler ones, but I think I'm going to have to go even slower than I expected. After today, I'm planning on sticking just to sing-alongs. I found that teaching "what's your name...?," "my name is ______," and "your name is _______" can be incredibly difficult if you don't take great care distinguish, beyond just intonation, between which is the question and which is the response (something I was careful to do in the following three classes). We sang the alphabet song quite a few times, and will probably do so again many times before moving onto something else.

But despite the slightly rocky start, the next three classes went really well. The best was undoubtedly Magali's CM2s (5th grade). Of course it helps that all of them had some foundation in English, so distinguishing between "What's your name?" and "My name is _________" was a lot easier. And this class was particularly attentive and eager to learn. After an introduction to the question and response, I presented them with flashcards with people or characters I thought they would recognize -- Spiderman, Dora the Explorer, Spongebob Squarepants, President Sarkozy, President Obama. The first three I picked based on what I had seen on their t-shirts, bookbags, and pencil cases while I was observing. I also added the two presidents and some other characters like Asterix and Obelix, Mickey and Minnie Mouse, and Santa Claus. Next we moved on to a chant. 

The chant came from a book authored by Carolyn Graham, who apparently is famous in the pedagogical world for creating a serious of language-learning tools based on songs and chants. After today I could see why she's famous, the "Hank/Frank" chant I used worked really well and seemed to help the kids both understand the vocabulary it introduced (some American names and the words bank, hill, bike, candy) and some practice with asking each other their names (each kid received a piece of paper with a name on it, they had to find a partner whose name rhymed with his or her name -- as in Jill/Phil, Hank/Frank, etc). Then, after reviewing the alphabet, we played Hangman using the names and vocabulary in the chant. And, at another teacher's suggestion, I wrapped up each session by asking the students to summarize what we had learned that day (in French).

I repeated essentially the same lesson for the next two classes, although I omitted the Hank/Frank game for Myriam's CE1 class (2nd grade) because it seemed too complicated. The game didn't work quite as well for Michele's CM1 class, and I'm not sure if it's because there were more of them (25 versus 21), or because they were younger, or because they were generally less attentive. I'll know more after a few more classes, I think.

So I arrived at school at 9:20am or so to make some photocopies and do final preparations for my lesson, and I didn't end up leaving until nearly 5pm because the last class (Myrian's CE1s) were celebrating a birthday! One of the little girls turned 9 today and her mom brought in a magnificent cake decked out in bright pink frosting and glitter, and topped with fruit-shaped candies. We had a little party in the préau (the term for the big open interior space in an elementary school where the kids have recess if the weather is really bad and is sometimes used for the kinds of games we would play in gym class at home). We sang Happy Birthday in five languages (all of us sang in French and English, then another student sang it in German, and another in Persian, and another in Jamaican Patois) and ate the cake with Orangina and orange soda to drink.

So although technically I was only teaching for 2 2/3 hours today (the class with the littlest ones was only 25 minutes instead of the typical 45 minutes), I actually spent 7 hours at the school. And usually I won't have to stay that late, but ithe job will definitely entail more than 12 hours per week. The two-hour lunch break in the middle puts sort of a dent in things, because from door-to-door my commute is about 40 minutes, too long to merit the trip home and back. But it's nice to eat lunch at school, because I get to chat with the other instituts (short for instituteurs, which means teachers). So far I've only been eating at Ecole Champagne, because I'm there in the mornings and put my lunch in the refrigerator there when I arrive. But I think I'm going to split the lunches with Ecole Bourgogne, because I want to get to know the teachers there too. At Bourgogne, most of the teachers gather in the salle des maîtres during the afternoon recess for coffee or tea and a quick treat, if someone brought something to share. But I'd like to get to know them a little more beyond those 15-20 minutes. One of the teachers at Bourgogne invited me to a dinner for all of the teachers the Friday of the Toussaint vacation (a week from tomorrow). And a professor at Champagne invited me over for dinner at her house next Tuesday. I've been really lucky to encounter so many friendly people here!

Two more brief but exciting things: 1) Today I got an email regarding the flyers I put up offering English tutoring! The process was a bit of an ordeal, because once I figured out the standard size/format and had the flyers printed up, I got a new phone number (I'm finally on the monthly plan) and had to have them all reprinted. At home it wouldn't be a big deal, but since I have to go to the CRIJ (regional youth center) in the c-v (only about a 15 minute walk from my apartment, but still), during their business hours, it took a bit longer. But I spent quite a bit of time Wednesday afternoon walking around and asking local merchants if I could put up my petit pub (advertisement) in their window or by the cash register (a fairly common practice). I distributed about a dozen to a few bakeries, two tabacs (sort of like a newspaper stand, but a store and with cigarettes too), a fish merchant, a florist, a cafe, and the local supermarket. I also hung them up in the Fac des lettres (Arts and Sciences College in the c-v) on the notice boards there. But even though I distributed so many, I was still uncertain as to whether I'd get any responses... so it's nice to have even one!

2) Both yesterday and today I went for 45-minute runs, which represents a serious improvement in my fitness level from when I first arrived. At Claire's suggestion, I researched the marathon schedule in Europe and found quite a few in France in March and April. So I've drawn up a workout schedule and am hoping to be ready by that time, despite the much-dreaded cold/snow. And it's definitely been easier to run the past few weeks when I wasn't really teaching yet. But hopefully I'll be able to keep it up.

That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment