Friday, March 23, 2012

Weird Weather à la Française

*This blog article was inspired by a link that Fred sent me regarding a meteorological phenomenon he had explained to me a few weeks ago when it was happening in Besançon. Since then the weather has switched to more of early summer weather (cool in the morning, but sunny and quite warm in the afternoon, clouds but not too much wind), but I thought the seasonal occurrence and its name was worth sharing. So here goes:

Les giboulées de mars

Here's the original article from the site Fred sent me (the title of the site: Understanding the Weather):

Les giboulées (souvent dites " de mars ") sont liées au passage de l'hiver au printemps. Ces brèves et brusques averses sont accompagnées par du vent, des fortes pluies, de la neige, de la grêle, du grésil ou encore de la neige fondante. Elles entraînent généralement un brusque refroidissement à leur passage. Au contraire, lors d'une éclaircie entre deux giboulées, le soleil donne l'impression d'un temps agréable et doux.  

My translation for you:

The giboulées (often called "the giboulées of March") are associated with the transition from winter to spring. These sudden and brief showers are often accompanied by wind, strong rains, snow, mild or intense hail, and wet snow. During these storms, the temperature often drops suddenly and significantly. But as soon as the storm clears, the sun usually comes out and the weather becomes agreeable again, just as quickly as the storm arrived.

I am here to testify that this phenomenon definitely happens. When I was waiting to participate in a tour of the synagogue in Besançon I was suddenly pummeled with eraser-sized hail balls. I wasn't even wearing my winter coat because the weather was so pleasant when I left my apartment that morning! The good part though is that they don't last very long, and as soon as the storm stops the sun comes out, the temperature rises and it's hard to believe it even happened at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment